Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Elephant in the Room



Let's talk about the elephant in the room.  We are going to discuss the elephant because it is BIG and takes up too much space.  The elephant has managed to squeeze itself in this small room and I suspect that we are not supposed to notice it?  But we do!  The elephant is that thing preventing us from living out our God-given purposes. 

While my elephant is obstructing my view, I can't see yours.  In that respect, I assume that you can't mine.  So I'll stand here, right in front of my elephant, as you walk by and put on a smile, hoping that you don't notice the big elephant standing right behind me.  And I am under the assumption that you are doing the same.  The reality is...there is no more room for our elephants.  We are cluttered, congested, and sick and tired of being the caretaker of such heavy animals.  We cannot carry our elephants around because of its weight.

Now reread the post above and replace the word elephant with your real feelings.  Here are some suggestions: burdens, fears, anger, abuse, depression, suicidal thoughts, isolation, emptiness, unhealthy relationship, insecurities, etc.

We try to ignore the elephant in the room because it is painful to acknowledge it.  But pain is the precursor to change, change the precursor to growth, growth the precursor to maturity.  Once we have arrived at maturity we are ready to live in our God-given purposes.  Some things reflect on:
  • Am I ready to acknowledge the elephant in the room?
  • What can I do to change my elephant into something more desirable?
  • Is my elephant a part of my God-given purpose?
  • Can I help others by sharing my elephant with them?
  • By sharing my elephant with others, can I save someone's life?
We were not designed to carry elephants around.  It is time to let God use your elephant for His purpose. Pray about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment